When we thought about offering our handcrafted items for sale, we knew that we could end up selling just one more single use item like any other candle.
And that if we were going to be making and selling anything, we didn't want it to just be another thing that inevitably just ends up in a landfill after it's used once.
And if we were going to be conscious about consumption and the proliferation of greenwashing, we knew we had more responsibility in ways we consume and source materials in our craft and in how we give back
to the communities that support us.
We strive to source reusable, recyclable, and sustainable materials directly from reliable & ecologically conscious suppliers whenever we can, and tastefully package our items with compostable Kraft & recycled paper materials and glassware that is attractive and reusable.
We generate less than 50 gallons of landfill-destined waste annually in our 100% Renewable*Connect® powered studio, and we plant trees to cover our CO2 footprint. We've also partnered with the National Forest Foundation
to plant a tree in a US National Forest for every candle we make
2020 by the numbers:
- The 2020 estimated CO2 emissions of operating our candle business using EPA provided tools was 27 tons (54,000lbs) of CO2 equivalents.
- Through our verifiable tree planting partnership with the N.F.F., we had an estimated 1,700 trees planted of various conifer types. Those trees will sequester an estimated avg. of 20lbs of CO2 per tree, per year over their estimated 50 year lifespan - or approx. 1,000 lbs of CO2. Collectively 1,700 coniferous trees will sequester approx. 1.7 million lbs of CO2 over 50 years.
- 1kg of soy wax requires approx 6 kg of raw soybeans. 1 bushel of raw soybeans is approx.27.2155kg and will yield approx. CO2 emissions to produce 1kg soybeans = approx 7 lbs CO2 equivalents.
- 4.5kg of soy wax or about 14 of our 12oz Grand sized candles. The soy wax we used in 2020 is accountable for about 850lbs of CO2 equivalents.
- We disposed of approximately 32 gallons of landfill-equivalent (non-recycled) waste. The county in which our studio resides (Washington County, MN) requires all landfill-equivalent waste to be incinerated for energy generation, so we are unable to calculate the final mass if any that went to landfill but estimate it less than our initial 32 gallons of debris.
- Manufacture of glassware and glass containers is energy intensive. The manufacture of raw glass requires considerably more energy to produce than when reusing recycled glass. Our 12oz Grand sized containers utilize approx 33% recycled glass content and weigh approx 9oz each.
- We estimate emissions of 8.4kg of CO2 equivalent per kg of non-recycled soda glass and 1.4kg of CO2 equivalent per kg of recycled glass.
- We estimate each 12 oz Grand glass container accounts for 1.44kg of CO2 to manufacture, or approx. 2.4 metric tons of CO2.
- Our 2020 carbon footprint is estimated to be approx. 58,000 lbs or 58 tons of CO2 equivalent and the trees planted will sequester an estimated 1,700,000lbs or 850 tons of CO2, resulting in an estimated net negative carbon footprint of -792 tons, or -1,584,000lbs CO2 equivalent.