When you invest in high-quality candles like the ones from Begonia & Bench, you want to make the most out of them. Whether you have just discovered the world of luxury candles or are a seasoned enthusiast, mastering the art of candle burning is essential to ensure a longer burn time and a more enjoyable experience!
1. First Burn Matters
When you light your Begonia & Bench candle for the first time, it's crucial to let it burn until there is a wax melt pool to the edge of the jar. This process, known as the "memory burn," sets the stage for all future burns. Allowing the candle to pool completely prevents tunnelling, a common issue where the wax burns down the center, leaving a rim of unused wax around the edges. To achieve the memory burn, be sure to:
- Burn Time: Ensure you have enough time to allow the candle to burn continuously for at least 2-3 hours, depending on the size of the candle. This will ensure the top layer melts evenly, and you get the most out of your investment.
- Candle Placement: Place the candle on a heat-resistant surface away from drafts and flammable materials. This will prevent uneven burning and reduce the risk of accidents.
2. Trim the Wick
Trimming the wick is a fundamental yet often overlooked step in candle maintenance. Before each burn, make sure to trim the wick to approximately 1/4 inch (about 0.6 centimeters).
Trimming the wick:
- Reduces Soot: A long wick can produce excessive soot, which can blacken the container and reduce the life of your candle. Trimming the wick helps maintain a cleaner burn.
- Prevents Mushrooming: When a wick is left untrimmed, it can create a mushroom-like shape at the tip, which can fall into the wax pool, causing undesirable debris and potentially affecting the quality of the burn.
- Controls Flame Height: A properly trimmed wick ensures a controlled flame height, minimizing the risk of the candle producing too much heat or flickering excessively.
3. Know When to Stop Burning
As much as you'd like to keep your Begonia & Bench candle burning indefinitely, it's essential to know when it's time to extinguish the flame. Here are some crucial pointers:
- Maximum Burn Time: Avoid burning your candle for more than four hours at a time. Extended burn times can cause the candle to overheat, affecting the fragrance and potentially compromising the container.
- Prevent Tunneling: If you notice the candle is starting to tunnel despite your best efforts, it's time to extinguish it. In such cases, you can use a candle wick trimmer to gently remove excess wax from the sides and encourage even burning in the future.
- Store Properly: After extinguishing your candle, always store it in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight and place the lid on top once cooled. This will preserve the fragrance and ensure its longevity.
Embrace these steps and you'll be rewarded with countless moments of tranquility and relaxation in the warm glow of your favorite Begonia & Bench candles!
Happy burning friends!